Eating Disorders Advanced Notification (PDF 299 KB)
· The listing of these new items is a result of recommendations in 2018 by the independent clinician-led Medical Benefits Schedule (MBS) Review Taskforce and the Australian Government’s response to those recommendations.
· This new item structure means eligible patients will be able to receive a Medicare rebate when eligible providers undertake the development of a Eating Disorder treatment and management plan or a review which will activate:
Eating Disorders Advanced Notification (DOC 106 KB)
Factsheet - Eating Disorders (PDF 353 KB)
Factsheet - Eating Disorders (DOC 97 KB)
FAQ - Eating Disorders (PDF 280 KB)
FAQ - Eating Disorders (DOC 100 KB)
Quick Reference Guide - Eating Disorders (PDF 489 KB)
Quick Reference Guide - Eating Disorders (DOC 149 KB)
· From 1 November 2019, a new suite of 64 Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) items will be introduced to support a model of best practice evidence based care for patients with anorexia nervosa and other eligible patients with eating disorders.
o a course of evidence based eating disorder psychological treatment services (up to a total of 40 psychological services in a 12 month period); and
· It is intended that the MBS services will be provided by practitioners with the knowledge, skills and experience in providing treatment to patients with eating disorders.
· Treatment provided under the Eating Disorder Psychological Treatment items are limited to the defined list of evidence based eating disorder specific treatments.
· Patients who do not fit the eligibility criteria for the MBS Eating Disorders Treatment Pathway may be eligible for treatment under the Better Access to Mental Health treatment pathway.
· There will be an evaluation of the new items after 12 months to assess if the items are operating as intended for patients, providers and the Government.
o up to 20 dietetic services, in a 12 month period, depending on their treatment needs.
Where can I find more information?
Further information on these changes will be provided as the details are confirmed.
To find out more or subscribe for updates visit www.mbsonline.gov.au.