Confidentiality Provisions The Health Insurance Act 1973 (the Act) includes confidentiality provisions which mean that data cannot be released which could identify either patients or providers.
GP Practice Data
Medicare data relating to telehealth consultations is not held at the practice level.
Further Provider Data
There are a number of professional colleges which have directories of doctors who are providing telehealth services.
Extract your own data
Statistics on the use of the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) items, including the MBS telehealth items can be retrieved from the Medicare Australia website: Medicare Item Reports
Data can be extracted to show services, benefits and patient demographics (including sex and age range) by item and by state. A limited amount of telehealth data can also be extracted by Medicare Local and Divisions of General Practice. Users should note that some information is not available due to the privacy provisions of the Act.
To generate reports please follow the steps outlined below.
To generate a table using this tool you will need to complete each field on the page:
- Item numbers: Enter the item number(s) you are interested in. If you wish to report on the range of telehealth items, you can use the item numbers below:
For all MBS telehealth items: 99, 112, 113, 114, 149, 288, 384, 389, 2799, 2820, 3003, 3015, 6004, 6016, 13210, 16399, 17609, 2100, 2126, 2143, 2195, 2122, 2137, 2147, 2199, 2125, 2138, 2179, 2220, 10983, 10984, 82150, 82151, 82152, 82220, 82221, 82222, 82223, 82224, 82225.
For specialist video consultation services only: 99, 112, 113, 114, 149, 288, 384, 389, 2799, 2820, 3003, 3015, 6004, 6016, 13210, 16399, 17609.
For patient-end support services only: 2100, 2126, 2143, 2195, 2122, 2137, 2147, 2199, 2125, 2138, 2179, 2220, 10983, 10984, 82150, 82151, 82152, 82220, 82221, 82222, 82223, 82224, 82225.
- Show: Select either services (number of services provided) or benefits (Medicare contribution to the cost of the services) and either count or per capita
- Report format: Select either by state, or by time period as desired
- Time period: Select financial or calendar year as desired
- Start date select July 2011 or later as desired
- End date select date as desired
- Select Create Report
After a short time the data will be provided in a table.
You can convert the data into an Excel spread sheet by selecting Download to Excel
Please also refer to the ‘important information’ section of the DHS web page which outlines specific details relating to this data.
Statistics to 30 June 2016
As at end of June 2016:
The Department of Human Services had processed over 475, 545 Medicare telehealth services provided to over 144,400 patients by over13,815 providers.
4,731 specialists have provided telehealth services.
Services, Patients and Providers by Provider Type – claims processed as at 30 June 2016
|Provider Specialty Type||Services||Providers||Patients|
|General Practitioner (includes practice nurse)||152,106||8,936|
Services by quarter – claims processed as at 30 June 2016
Patient Services by State – claims processed as at 30 June 2016
|State1||Services||Percentage of Services|
- State is based on patient location, not the location of the specialist
Number of Providers by Selected Subspecialty - claims processed as at 30 June 2016
|Obstetrics & Gynaecology||158|
|Gastroenterology and Hepatology||211|
Services by Patient Remoteness Area (RA) - claims processed as at 30 June 2016
- Supported telehealth services are attributed to the location of the supporting provider, and unsupported telehealth services are attributed to the residential address of the patient.
- Small discrepancies occur due to the apportioning of postcodes for remoteness areas.
is determined by the patient's Medicare enrolment postcode as at the date their claim was processed, based on the Remoteness Area classification 2006 developed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).Remoteness Classification:
ABS Views on Remoteness Consultation, Australia (cat. no. 1244.0.00.001). Also refer to Census Geography Paper (cat. no. 03/01), ASGC Purpose and Use, available from the ABS web site.
Telehealth Quarterly Statistics document in PDF format (PDF 74 KB)
Telehealth Statistics document in WORD format (Word 5198 KB)