What does the change involve?
Age restrictions for treating certain bowel and bladder problems are removed, and the following items no longer require patients to be aged 18 years or older:
· items 32213–32218 for sacral nerve stimulation for treatment of faecal incontinence
· items 3666336664 and 3666636668 for the treatment of detrusor (muscle) overactivity or urinary incontinence.
This change ensures that these items reflect contemporary clinical evidence which supports the safety and efficacy of these procedures in juveniles in cases where the practitioner considers them clinically appropriate.
· Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
· Australian Medical Association
· Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand
· The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
· The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
· Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
Find out more
For details of all the MBS changes from 1 May 2017, please refer to Health Insurance Legislation Amendment (2017 Measures No. 1) Regulations 2017 (click on the ‘Explanatory Statement’ tab) or visit MBS Online.