Summary of Item Changes
New items: 15275, 15555, 15565, 15715, 30172, 30176, 30179, 73342
Deleted Items: 30174
Amended Descriptions: 30165, 30168, 30171, 30177, 45530, 45564, 45565
Specific MBS items for Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) and Image-Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT)
From 1 January 2016, IMRT and IGRT will be listed under their own MBS items. While IMRT and IGRT are currently billed on the MBS under existing three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3D-CRT) items, these new (specific) items will allow IMRT and IGRT utilisation to be monitored and analysed.
Based on recommendations of the Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) in April 2016, the following items will be added to the MBS:
- Item 15555 for IMRT simulation;
- Item 15565 for IMRT dosimetry;
- Item 15275 for IMRT treatment; and
- Item 15715 for treatment verification using IGRT.
MBS Lipectomy items
MBS lipectomy items now specify eligible patients’ indications—significant weight loss, refractory skin conditions and impeded activities of daily living—following recommendations of the Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) on 2 April 2015.
Effective1 January 2016, MSAC’s recommendations result in:
- amendments to existing MBS items 30165, 30168, 30171, and 30177;
- the introduction of item 30172 for three or more wedge excisions, item 30176 for circumferential lipectomy, and item 30176 for abdominoplasty following surgical removal of large intra-abdominal or pelvic tumours; and
- the cessation of item 30174.