The 1 November 2011 MBS files are now available to download from the following MBS Online link:
The following is a summary of this November's release:
REVIEW OF GENERAL MEDICAL SERVICES
- Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation and Matrix-induced Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (ACI/MACI) – items 49557 and 49563 have been amended to specifically exclude procedures related to ACI/MACI being claimed under these items. The Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) considered the strength of the available evidence in relation to the safety, effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of ACI/MACI and did not support public funding for these procedures.
- Vertebroplasty items - 35400 and 35402 have been deleted following a recommendation of the Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC). During the interim period, MSAC reassessed the evidence as to the effectiveness of vertebroplasty. After considering the strength of the available evidence in relation to the safety, effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of percutaneous vertebroplasty, MSAC did not support continued public funding for this procedure
- Brachytherapy is recommended by the Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) as mono-therapy for patients with a Gleason score is ≤(3+4) = 7, and where the Gleason is (4+3) = 7, this should be part of combined modality treatment.
- GP Mental Health Treatment Plan - items 2702 and 2710 have been removed and replaced with four new item 2700, 2701, 2715 and 2717.
- Endovenous laser therapy - Following a Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) recommendation, and in consultation with relevant professional organisations, two new items (32520 and 32522) have been listed. Extended Medicare Safety Net benefits have been capped for both items. New Explanatory Note T8.34 has been included for clarification.
- Better Access to Psychiatrists, Psychologists and General Practitioners program - Four new time-tiered items (items 2700, 2701, 2715 and 2717) have been introduced to replace item 2702 and item 2710 for the development of a GP Mental Health Treatment Plan. The schedule fee for the review consultation item 2712 and item 2713 has been reduced. Allied health services have been capped at ten services per patient per calendar year, and the provision for an additional six services under exceptional circumstances has been removed. References to ‘Access to Allied Psychological Services’ (ATAPs) have been removed to provide greater clarification in the Medicare Benefits Schedule of a ‘relevant service’ under the Better Access program.
REVIEW OF THE PATHOLOGY SERVICES
- New Medicare arrangements introduced on 1 November 2010 enable participating nurse practitioners to request pathology services within their scope of practice and provide simple basic pathology tests listed in Group P9. From 1 November 2011, new P9 pathology items have been included specifically for participating nurse practitioners that replicate existing P9 items used by medical practitioners.