MBS Online contains the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS), a listing of the Medicare services subsidised by the Australian government.
The Schedule is part of the wider Medicare Benefits Scheme managed by the Department of Health and administered by Department of Human Services. MBS Online contains the latest MBS information and is updated as changes to the MBS occur.
Download The March 2020 Medicare Benefits Schedule
New telehealth and telephone items have been introduced to support the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Details are on the Latest News page and Temporary Telehealth Bulk-Billed Items for COVID-19 fact sheet . Health is closely monitoring the situation, and daily updates are available on https://www.health.gov.au/
· From 13 March 2020 to 30 September 2020 (inclusive), new temporary MBS telehealth items have been made available to help reduce the risk of community transmission of COVID-19 and provide protection for patients and health care providers.
· The list of telehealth services has continued to expand since 13 March. This is the latest factsheet and provides details on all current telehealth items.
· The new temporary MBS telehealth items are available to GPs, medical practitioners, nurse practitioners, participating midwives and allied health providers.
· A service may only be provided by telehealth where it is safe and clinically appropriate to do so.
· The new temporary MBS telehealth items must be bulk billed and are for non-admitted patients.
· On 30 March 2020, the bulk billing incentive Medicare fees will double for items relating to General Practice, Diagnostic Imaging and Pathology services. These items can be claimed with the new temporary MBS telehealth items where appropriate. The new fees are provided later in the factsheet.
The MBS Review Taskforce is considering how more than 5,700 Medicare services can be aligned with contemporary clinical evidence and practice and improve health outcomes for patients.
Following recommendations from the Taskforce, a number of changes to the MBS will come into effect. You can find more information on these changes on the Department of Health's website.
In the 2017-18 Budget, the Government announced it would commence the phased re-introduction of indexation of Medicare Benefits Schedule rebates. For more information, refer to the Medicare Indexation Schedule factsheet.
01 January 20The Revised 1 January 2020 MBS XML and Book files (PDF, DOC and ZIP) are available to download