Realigning indexation of the Medicare Benefits Schedule to align with the financial yearAs a result of a decision in the 2013-14 Budget, the indexation of the MBS is being realigned with the financial year. This means that MBS fees will be next indexed on 1 July 2014. Historically, indexation of most MBS items occurs on 1 November each year.
This measure will have no impact on those MBS items which are not subject to indexation. The MBS items that are not subject to indexation are as follows:
- Group A2 (other non-referred attendances)
- Item 173 in Group A7 (acupuncture)
- Items 598 and 600 in Group A11 (urgent attendances after hours)
- Group A19 (PIP incentive payments, other non-referred)
- Group A23 (other nonreferred after hours attendances)
- Items 15700, 15705, 15710, 15800 and 15850 in Group T2 (Radiation oncology)
- Groups I1 - I5
- Diagnostic Imaging, and
- Groups P1 - P11 and P13 Pathology.
Department of Veterans’ Affairs fee arrangementsThe above 2013-14 Budget measure also applies to all services listed in the following DVA fee schedules:
- Local Medical Officer Fee Schedule
- Derived Fees – Ready Reckoner for Local Medical Officers
- Repatriation Medical Fee Schedule
- Relative Value Guide Fee Schedule
- Optometrist Fees For Consultations
Indexation for Department of Veterans’ Affairs health care services not listed above will occur as usual.